Saturday, January 3, 2009

Starting 2009 On The Right Note!

I've decided that one of my new years resolutions would be to finally take care of myself!! Something I had started in 2008, but ended up putting off for other things.

1. Thanks to Santa, (wink, wink) I now have my GNC Women's Ultra Mega Active daily vitamins. And I have to admit, they do make me feel so much better.

2. I have also done my research on acai (ah-sigh-ee) berry. There are so many products online that are a scam. However, I did find a doctor who appeared on the Oprah show, Dr. Perricone, and this is what he said about Acai:
  • "Studies have shown that this little berry is one of the most nutritious and powerful foods in the world! Açaí (ah-sigh-ee) is the high-energy berry of a special Amazon palm tree. Harvested in the rainforests of Brazil, açaí tastes like a vibrant blend of berries and chocolate. Hidden within its royal purple pigment is the magic that makes it nature's perfect energy fruit. Açaí is packed full of antioxidants, amino acids and essential fatty acids. Although açaí may not be available in your local supermarket, you can find it in several health food and gourmet stores (often in juice form). A new product featuring the unsweetened pulp is now also available, and I highly recommend that you choose this form of açaí."
Açaí pulp contains:
  • A remarkable concentration of antioxidants that help combat premature aging, with 10 times more antioxidants than red grapes and 10 to 30 times the anthocyanins of red wine.
  • A synergy of monounsaturated (healthy) fats, dietary fiber and phytosterols to help promote cardiovascular and digestive health.
  • An almost perfect essential amino acid complex in conjunction with valuable trace minerals, vital to proper muscle contraction and regeneration.
  • The fatty acid content in açaí resembles that of olive oil, and is rich in monounsaturated oleic acid. Oleic acid is important for a number of reasons. It helps omega-3 fish oils penetrate the cell membrane; together they help make cell membranes more supple. By keeping the cell membrane supple, all hormones, neurotransmitter and insulin receptors function more efficiently. This is particularly important because high insulin levels create an inflammatory state, and we know, inflammation causes aging.

I had a hard time finding acai pulp, but I did find this product and cannot wait until it arrives in the next week.

Garden Greens BerrySplash

Energizing Mixed Berry Drink Mix

Powered with Acai Berry, 8 Berry Extracts & Green Tea Extract

Acai Berry, Green Tea, Grape Skin, Raspberry, Lycium (Gogi) Berry, Bilberry, Blueberry, Elderberry, Pomegranate, Cherry, Blackberry and Cranberry Extracts

Energizing formula provides 100 mg of Anthocyanins and 3800 ORAC per serving. Discover the secret of the delicious and energizing Acai Berry (pronounced ah-sigh-EE) in the Garden Greens™ BerrySplash™ Drink Mix.

My plan is to mix it with sugar free yogurt and make a smoothy if it doesn't taste good in water. Although, the reviews were a five star and most people liked the taste. They said it was sweet.

3. My research will continue ....


4 comments:

LuLu said...

Good for you. Mom's need to stay healthy!!! Keep me posted on all your research.
LuLu

Kathy said...

Thanks!! I'll keep you posted.

Kim Hancock said...

Great! We are totally reevaluating our lives. My father-n-law had open heart surgery/a quadruple bypass today... a total eye opener!

Kathy said...

Hi Kim,

I wish your father-n-law the best!!!!

I have received the berrysplash and it tastes great! It smells very strong, but the taste is very light. It reminds me of flavored water.

Thanks for stopping by.